How To Write A Thesis Statement For A Cause And Effect Essay About Overpopulation
A thesis statement (or main statement) is the most important part of an essay. Knowing how to do it correctly and in a quality manner will make sure your paper is on point and efficiently written. Building one for a cause and effect essay on overpopulation can take many forms and can be crafted in a few different ways.
Cause and Effect Essays
First of all, you need to know what a cause and effect essay consists of and what types of cause and effect forms there are to choose from. The cause and effect method of writing helps to organize a topic and ideas by finding something that happens and analyzing what caused it or what effects it has (or both). There are three main organizational forms for this type of writing style.
- One effect with multiple causes – The thesis will state one general effect and sum up a few main things that cause said effect.
- One cause with multiple effects – The opposite of the style above, this one would have a main statement that highlights one main thing that causes a few main effects.
- Domino effect – This type of cause and effect statement would highlight the thing that caused the domino effect, as well as the thing at the end of the domino effect.
A thesis is going to be where you sum up the main points of the paper. This is arguably the most important part of the paper since it makes it clear to the reader what your point is and where you are heading with the paper.
- Placement– The placement is important since you want it to stand out and be obvious. Do not bury it in the middle of a giant paragraph- If possible, let it stand alone or start a paragraph. You will also want to put it near the beginning of your paper so that it stands out.
- Clarity – The point of the main statement is to bring clarity and direction to your paper. You want it to be short and to the point without wordiness.
Thesis Ideas for the Topic: Overpopulation
Here are a few ideas to get you started on a thesis for a cause and effect essay on overpopulation (based on the three main forms of cause and effect mentioned above):
- One effect with multiple causes – Overpopulation (effect) is caused by medical advances, increased education and development programs, as well as immigration.
- One cause with multiple effects – Overpopulation causes depletion of natural resources, less freedom, and elevated crime rate.
- Domino effect – The domino effect of overpopulation and how it ends up at causing more pollution. (i.e. More humans in one area leads to a higher need for more food that leads to expansion and modifying of farming and factory production that leads to more runoff and pollution etc..)